The Gilberd School was designated an good with outstanding features comprehensive school by the Secretary of State in 2013
|Tel: 01206 842211||Fax: 01206 845485|
We are delighted to be able to welcome you to The Gilberd School. Hopefully the information you find below and on our website will give you a flavour of our school, the things we believe in and the opportunities we offer our staff. Please feel free to contact us for additional information or to organise a visit.
Colchester combines the history of being Britain’s oldest recorded town with the modernity of being one of the fastest growing towns in England. Home to Essex University, we have easy links to London. Within Colchester you will find a wide range of historic, sporting, leisure and cultural facilities. We are close to the area of outstanding natural beauty of Dedham, Flatford and the Stour Valley known as "Constable Country".
The Gilberd School is a popular and oversubscribed 11 to 16 school on the north of Colchester with good links to Colchester Station and the A12. We have 1350 students and are about to start a building programme which will see us grow by one form of entry and further develop our very good sports facilities. We teach within Suites of rooms for each Faculty and have excellent resources and facilities.
The Gilberd Way
As a School Community
We show ambition and commitment
We act with integrity and compassion
We learn with creativity and resilience
In many respects these apply just as much to staff as to students. One of the strengths of the school is the quality of relationships, amongst staff and between staff and students. We work together within an atmosphere of mutual respect and trust which supports our aims.
The results of our work can be seen in the things we can measure like our exam results which are consistently very good. Our many successes have been recognised in our Ofsted reports of 2013 and 2010. In both reports we were judged to be Good with many outstanding features; we are determined to continue to improve and are working towards Outstanding. Our examination successes are due to the skill and commitment of our hard working staff who do all they can to ensure all students achieve their best.
We also pride ourselves on the successes that cannot be measured, the quality of relationships, the positive atmosphere in school, the pride that we have in the many successes of our staff and students and the genuine warmth of our community. We believe in educating the whole person and have worked to create a school where sporting, artistic and performing events are fully integrated into our lives; hopefully this is reflected in the myriad of activities you can see on our website.
It matters to us that we work to meet the needs of our staff and that all staff appointed can continue to grow and develop. Our processes identify training needs and offer a range of differentiated support and training.
We also support staff well-being in a wide variety of ways.
- The maximum any of our staff teach is 88% with less for those with positions of responsibility.
- NQTs have a lighter teaching load than other staff and are supported by a mentor and NQT Induction programme. In addition we have an NQT Plus programme which recognises the needs of staff who have recently completed their NQT year.
- The school pays into the national teachers’ and local government pensions for all staff.
- We ensure all staff have access to CPD and differentiate this to meet individual needs.
- All teaching staff have access to either a laptop or IPad.
- We offer financial support for child care through child care voucher scheme.
- The school operates a cycle to work scheme.
- The school shares its facilities with Leisure World Highwoods and staff can benefit from use of the Fitness Centre.
- Health and Well Being of our staff is paramount. We offer regular health checks, flu vaccinations etc.
- We are a friendly and supportive staff and often join together for social activities and outings.
Thank you for taking an interest in our school. If you feel The Gilberd School is the sort of place where you could flourish; we look forward to your application. Regardless of whether or not you decide to apply to our school we wish you all the best in your future career.
This Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All appointments are subject to a satisfactory Disclosure and Barring Service check (DBS).